a kilometer away from gaza strip an hour from tel aviv

sderot train station

Sderot was established in 1951 as a settlement for immigrants from Iran and Kurdistan on the ruins
of the abandoned Arab Village Najed. Its name derives from the eucalyptus trees planted by the
unemployed inhabitants in order to keep them busy. Over the years, immigrants from Romania,
and especially from Morocco, increased the population, until it doubled at the end of the 80s
with immigrants from the Soviet Union and Ethiopia. In 1998, the small town was declared a City,
and recognition of the Sapir college as an accredited higher education institution brought young
and education-demanding inhabitants to the city, contributing to its cultural life. However, since
2000, during the second Intifada, the city, located only a kilometer from the Gaza Strip, began to
absorb missiles on a daily basis, thus becoming the soft belly of Israel, and the justification for
all the retaliation operations that have taken place ever since. Inaugurated a year ago, the new
train station brought about a conceptual upheaval, marking the country’s intention to bring the
center nearer to the periphery.





חזרה לגליון 101    back to issue 101